Game of Thrones is filmed on location in many beautiful, impressing and epic sites in Europe. From dramatic Malta to gloomy Scotland, the TV show has combined the magic of certain locations with the illusion of computer graphics – and has captivated an entire world audience as spectators to this epic drama.
You yourself can be a part of this marvellous tapestry when visiting Dubrovnik and pretend, that you’re in King’s Landing!
I can’t provide you with a complete hiking agenda around town (for that I’ll recommend one of the many 2-3 hour tours that’ll guide you to the many scenes and give you some fun, inside information as well) but I’ll point out some few for you:
- Minceta tower, where scenes from the House of the Undying were shot
- Fort Lovrjenac, which doubles as the Red Keep
- St. Dominic Street (market place)
- Fort Bokar, where Joffrey plans to make use of the cannons
- Pile Gate, where there’s a riot among the citizens of King’s Landing
All these sites can be visited be either strolling around in the city or walking the city wall (100 kuna / 14€ for a 1-hour ticket)
If you want to venture further out, there are some interesting places (not only Game-of-Thrones-related) nearby which give some beautiful experiences and revisit some of the scenes from the show:
- Lokrum (small, nearby island), home of the fictional city of Quarth
- Trsteno Arboretum gardens (about 30-minute drive from Dubrovnik) where several scenes with the plotting Tyrell House are shot
In this map from Dubrovnik’s Tourist Office, you can find the sites featured in Game of Thrones and feel like Queen Cersei or Jaime Lannister. If you’re spending more time in Croatia and has been captivated by the Game of Thrones spirit, try visiting Split, that doubled as Mereen, where Daenarys was crowned, or Šibenik, that was turned into Braavos in season 5.
The ancient city state of Dubrovnik was formerly known as Ragusa and defied the mighty realm of nearby Venice. Not only the surroundings of this once great city are epic – it’s story is as well!
And even if you just came for the Game of Thrones views, this town and it’s story will amaze you, so you’ll take the true stories of Ragusa with you and know the history of this ancient part of the world.